A Study on the Tendencies and Perspectives of the Forest Sector in Latin America by the Year 2020: National Report Belize

Belize, Forest Department (2004) A Study on the Tendencies and Perspectives of the Forest Sector in Latin America by the Year 2020: National Report Belize. Technical Report.

[img] Microsoft Word
Download (1430Kb)

    Abstract

    The present document contains the tendencies and perspectives for the forest sector of Belize and shows with two scenarios how the forest resource will reduce considerably by the year 2020, should the current actions be continued. That will affect in an alarming manner sectors such as tourism that has the potential as the main source of foreign exchange for the country, as well as other sectors that depend largely on the goods and services provided by the forests, among them being potable water supply and water for energy generation. Nonetheless, a second scenario shows that the country by the year 2020 will have 58.4% of forest cover contributing to the social, environmental and economic development of the country, planning the actions of the forest sector in relation to a national Land Use Plan as it relates to forested land, updating its Forest Policy and the legislative framework of the sector, ensuring an adequate management, conservation, and the development of the forest resource; and these actions are led by a modern and facilitating Forest Department. This would allow the consolidation of the National System of Protected Areas and think about an industrial development based on raw material sources from reforestation programs financed by the mitigation of Green House Gases (GHG), from the sustainable use of the remaining pine forests and from the adequate use of broadleaf forest suitable for this activity. It is expected that by the year 2020 the forest industry of the country will process two times the raw material it harvests today and that this comes from 75% pine forest and the remaining 25% from broadleaf forest. In order to make viable this positive scenario, it will be required to develop a legal framework for the new policies that would be accompanied by recommendations to adapt this new legal framework to the new policies that would be also accompanied by a forest strategy for implementation.

    Item Type: Technical Reports (Technical Report)
    Related URLs:
      Publisher: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
      Keywords: tendencies, perspectives, forest sector,broad leaf, pine, importance
      Subjects: (A) Biodiversity > (AH) Plants
      (C) Ecosystems > (CC) Terrestrial > (CCA) Broad-Leaved Forest
      (F) People and the Environment > (FB) Resource Use
      (I) Socio-Economic Information > (IB) Economic Valuation
      Publication Sources: (3) Other Source > (3A) Government Departments
      Date Deposited: 26 Nov 2010 14:17
      Last Modified: 20 Jan 2011 14:27
      URI: http://eprints.uberibz.org/id/eprint/1065

      Actions (login required)

      View Item